If you are looking for information about Vtech DM221 Digital Audio Baby Monitor, you are in the right page. We are going to give you overview of this audio baby monitor and explain all the features you can expect from it, including customer opinion about the product, where to get the best deal and most importantly whether or not it does the job well.
We will also highlight some of the unique features that make this baby monitor stand out from the rest of the models. eg. Talk-Back intercom system and various alert beeping features. However, if you are here not for the full review but just to buy the unit, you can click HERE to go straight to Amazon.
Here are the features from Manufacturer:
- DECT 6.0 digital wireless technology provides crystal clear transmission, eliminating the annoying white noise you hear from analog monitors.
- Secure Transmission – the signal is digitized and encrypted ensuring that all transmissions between the baby unit and parent unit are private and secure.
- Extended Range up to 1,000 feet allows you to feel safe connected to your child while you go about your day.
- Talk back intercom system – remotely communicate to your baby from the parent unit to the baby unit. Speak to your baby from another room or even from outdoors.
- Rechargeable batteries—with up to 18 hours of monitor time, have the freedom to carry the baby unit everywhere you go without the hassle of a power cord.
- Five Level Sound Indicator—turn the sound down on the Parent Unit and rely on the visual sound alert LED’s to indicate sound levels in the baby’s room.
- Night Light— the loop on the baby unit illuminates to be used as a night light.
- Belt Clip—take advantage of the extended range and rechargeable batteries by clipping on the parent unit using the built in belt clip.
- Vibrating Sound Alert—enjoy some added peace by being silently alerted when there is sound in the baby’s room.
- Backlit display on parent unit
Sound & Safety Matters
When selecting audio baby monitors, sound quality and security are two most vital aspects for consideration. The number ONE priority for most parent is to be able to hear their baby sound clearly without interference when moving around in the house and not being tapped by outsiders. VTech DM221 does a perfect job on this requirement as it features DECT 6.0 digital technology that is able to cut out background noises and deliver crystal clear sound with no static in good range. Furthermore, the voice transmission between baby and parent is encrypted for privacy and security.
What exactly you will get
The standard model comes with one base unit, one parent unit and two power adapters. If you need additional parent unit, you can get the VTech DM221-2 that comes with two parent units. The baby unit is powered by adapter only whereas the parent unit can be powered by both adapter and battery. Beside the microphone, the base unit has a speaker with adjustable sound level to transmit mother soothing voice to the baby. Along with that, the loop on the unit can be turned on, serving as calming night-light at night. These talk-back and night light features are additional features only available to this model, another similar model VTech DM112-2 is cheaper but didn’t have these.
It sets you free
As for the lightweight parent unit, it can operate on battery up to 18 hours and support range up to 1,000 feet. With the built-in belt clip and out of range alert beeping, you can roam around freely inside or outside the house without worry about signal loss. If you are in noisy environment such as during vacuuming, the LED lights with noise level indication and vibration mode when baby is fussing will come in very handy. Backlit display on the unit also make it easy to read especially at night.
What we liked most about it:
- Super clear sound with no static noises using the latest DECT 6.0 technology
- Great mobility with flexibility to move around without worry about losing signal connection unaware with belt clip-on and out of range alert
- No worry about missing baby cry even in noisy environment with the vibrating sound alert
- Clear and large backlit display on parent unit
What we feel is lacking:
- Nursery unit cannot operate on battery
VTech DM221 Safe & Sound Digital Audio Baby Monitor has been rated as “Best Value” by baby reviewer site like BabyGearLab.com and it has lots of good reviews from retailers like Walmart, Toyrus and Amazon. Although there are few reviews about unit connection issue, we do see response from VTech customer service offers full replacement and we don’t think you should worry about that.
If you are looking for a basic, reliable and clear sound baby monitor without the hassle of sophisticated video monitoring setup, this is the right product delivering most value of money. On top of the basic features and inexpensive cost, it out-ranks other models with long hour battery life, intercom capability and mobility with alert beeping features that give you peace of mind when moving around freely. Check it out today, it is our BEST choice of audio baby monitors.
At the time of review, there is 25% discount off list price of $39.95 at Amazon where you can get it at only $29.99. This is the best price we found after comparing with VTech ($39.95), Target ($39.99) and Walmart ($35.98).